NYMPHAEUM...

The nymphaeum (dating from the first half of the first century AD) was originally discovered in 1959 when Professor Lamboglia, founder of the centre for underwater archaeology, initiated a study on board the ship Daino to determine the morphology of a complete architectonic discovery at the base of Epitaffio Point.



Ten years later two marble statues were discovered still standing in the apse of a rectangular building. They have been acknowledged as being Homeric personifications showing the scene of the intoxication of Polyphemus as viewed by Odysseus and his companions; Odysseus offering a wine goblet to the cyclops.



Of five further statues the most beautiful and least damaged is of Dionysus when he was young. Another has been identified as being Antonia Minor, the mother of Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus - indeed, it appeared to be a gallery of sorts within the imperial residence depicting the Claudian dynasty. This, combined with the architecture of the room and the presence of plumbing to control the flow of water allow the ruins to be identified as a luxurious nymphaeum.

There is also a permanent exhibition of the nymphaeum in the Pincer Tower of the Aragonese castle in Baia.